Skip to main content

Ma.

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty, will I be rich
Here's what she said to me.

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.

~~Que Sera Sera
~ Doris Day



The best thing about mothers is irrespective of whatever happens in your life, they are always there for you. She is there to celebrate a victory, to scold when you make a mistake, to hug when you are hurt. There have been loads of times my mom and I have not agreed on certain things, people, situations. Actually more often that not, we disagree. But even when we've disagreed she has always stood by me. Say I've made a new friend and my mom doesn't seem to like her too much, she tells me so and I laugh it off. And if that friend actually turns out to be not-a-friend, my mom has never come back and said "I told you so". In fact the only time I remember her saying 'I told you so' was when she predicted a certain history question in my XII Std History paper and it did come.

It's been three years since I've left home and lived in Hyderabad alone. And even though I have carved a nice little space for myself in Hyderabad, I miss my mother and her presence. When I return home after a long tiring day, she is not there to come to my room and give me a cup of tea and sit with me, telling me about her day and asking me about mine. She is not there to listen to every tiny crib of mine, patiently sit through, as i describe people, places, events. She is not there to laugh when I laugh, get angry, when I get frustrated and smile when I smile. I often forget the discussion the next day, but she will remember and ask me for an update and if Im doing better, and if that person troubled me again and I'll smile at her and say "Yes Ma, im ok". I miss that.

I went home for two weeks for Diwali recently. After ages I was taking that long a break. It was beautiful. Both of us had so much to share with each other. We would talk from dawn to dusk, crib, bitch, laugh, cry, sing, shop! It was beautiful being around her.

One afternoon, we finished lunch, but kept sitting on the table talking. She asked me about certain friends of mine and how they were doing in Hyderabad. I looked at her and smiled and said "they're fine" But mothers being mothers, have this uncanny ability to understand whats hidden in the depths of your being. She saw the difference in my smile, she saw how after "they're fine" I didn't add anything. She sensed that something had hurt me. And she asked. I looked up from my empty plate to look into her eyes and saw the golden-brown in them and said "we are not friends anymore ma". She asked me why and I gave her the whole story. She told me where I was wrong and she told me where I was right in that whole situation. By the end of it, she told me, "think about yourself sometimes, the world moves on, and most people also do. But I know you, i know how you can never forgive or forget. how you hold on to things and people" She told me to either let go, or protect myself from any further such incidents. I looked at her and she had tears in her eyes, I teared up when I saw them.

In that moment, that less-than-a-minute moment, she said "I wish I can protect you throughout, hold you close and keep you away from hurt: physical and emotional, but how much ever I want certain things in life, i cant get them" I realised then, that moment, that I had grown up.

All i wanted to be then, was my mother's little girl. All I saw in her eyes then was unconditional love and understanding. She knew how I felt, how I was feeling.

And suddenly that moment was gone, as silently as it had come, it was gone.

She never asked me for reasons, never gave her opinion, never judged the situation. Just simply listened to my story and saw how it affected me.

She got up from the table and picker up her plate and went into the kitchen and I followed her.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Zindagi Migzara.

Har ghadi badal rahi hai roop zindagi Chhaaon hai kabhi kabhi hai dhoop zindagi ~~Javed Akhtar, Kal ho Na Ho This is a post I will HAVE to name after my blog, simply because no other phrase can capture the true meaning of what I will try my best to express in words in this one. It all started on the Third Floor balcony of Omega, Hyderabad. And the best part is the fact that we didn't even know that we had started something new. We went through months of dilemma and denial while deep down both of us just knew. As a very dear friend puts it we had the 'connection' , but we were yet to discover it. Days, Nights, and months went by, before we realized. In fact more than 'realization', we accepted that we meant a lot more to each other. Today when people ask me for a time,date and place and what, where, how, when. I am clueless. Because it was not love at first sight, it was even more beautiful than that. A friendship that both of us treasured to th...

Flat No. 2

Aye dil hai mushkil Jeena yahan Zara hat ke Zara bach ke, Yeh hai Bombay meri jaan Ha haa, ha ho ho, ho hi haa ha haa Hm hm hm hm, hm hm hm , hm hm hm hm hm Aye dil hai mushkil Jeena yahan Zara hat ke Zara bach ke, Yeh hai Bombay meri jaan ~~CID ~~Majrooh Sultanpuri When I left home and came to Hyderabad, I was both scared and excited. Scared because I was staying away from home for the first time end excited for exactly the same reason! Everything about Hyderabad excited me, the job, the city, the prospect of finding a new house, setting up that house, deciding who to live with, new friends, basically a completely new life.I met my first roommate in the guest house, when we decided we would live together, we don't know. We were the only ones joining that week and naturally bonded. We went looking for houses together and found one we liked and decided on that one. I stayed in that house for 11 months, shared a room. I loved that house, i liked the loc...

Dilwale Dulhaniya..

"Na jaane mere dil ko kya ho gaya Abhi to yahin tha, abhi kho gaya Ho gaya hai tujkho to pyaar sajna Laakh kar le tu inkaar sajna Dildaar sajna, hai yeh pyaar sajna" ~~Anand Bakshi ~Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge If you grew up in the 90s in India and were a Bollywood fan, you would definitely have watched DDLJ and wished Shah Rukh and Kajol were married in real life. Simran was one such girl. When DDLJ released in October in 1995, Simran was only 10 years old. Her father, a Major in the Indian Army came home one evening and called her name. "Simran, Sim Run!" he said. One of Simran's favorite-est moments in the day was her fathor returning home at 5:30pm from work. She came running, her mom joined her from the kitchen, she was eager too! When the two lights of Maj. Khanna's life, were in front of him, he grinned and held up tickets. These weren't jazzy tickets from INOX or PVR or the other cinema houses. These were tickets from the Army Op...